Wednesday, August 7, 2013

New Technologies




                I remember being given the task of acting as a sort school expert for our computer-assisted instruction program upgrade.  Once I completed my training, I had to present what I'd learned to my colleagues and help them with any questions they may have had.  Teachers were expected to create lessons for students and monitor student progress using the program.  However, very few teachers were following suit.  The administrator looked to me to help those who clearly complained about the difficulty they faced with getting started however none of these people reached out to me for help. I managed to create  a mini-manual for those who wanted one and personally helped a few people.  I then volunteered to hold a small tutorial session.  However, the administration never took me up on my offer.  Needless to say, the program is still used by very few teachers within my school.

                My colleagues low self-efficacy caused them to dismiss the benefits of this program because they feared they could not implement it correctly.  They also have negative expectations associated with the program i.e. more work for them, focus taken away from the standards.  If I'd had Keller's ARCS model for stimulating motivation to follow, I could have done the following things that may have motivated my colleagues more.

  • ·         Gaining and Sustaining Attention: My presentation could have gone beyond what the district had provided and I could have incorporated video  and small group discussions.  I could have also developed the mini-manual for the presentation and inserted color and graphics.

  • ·         Enhancing Relevance: I could have provided  my colleagues with data where the program enhanced learner performance so that the program wouldn't be seen as a distraction from their lessons.

  • ·         Building Confidence: I could have walked my colleagues through the process of setting up their classes and building assignments.  I also could have set them up in a class and had them work through a lesson themselves.

  • ·         Generating Satisfaction: I could then give them a month to practice with their students and then report back on their findings.  We could discuss what worked, what didn't, and plan our next step with the program.  This way, they are actively involved in the decision process.
<!--[if !supportLists]-->

References
Driscoll, M. P. (2005). Psychology of learning for instruction (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson Education.

Talab, D. (2013, February 7). The ARCS model of motivational design-learner motivation. Retrived from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NLAuR5w-sY 

1 comment:

  1. Your post shows practical illustration of the ARCS model. I feel that sometimes people are scared to ask for help by fear of being perceived as incompetent.

    ReplyDelete